Friday, March 11, 2011

Style Maven Series: Carrie Ann Inaba



Carrie Ann Inaba was a born entertainer and has continued to be a creative multi-tasking maven. You may know her from her seat at the judges table on the hit ABC show "Dancing with the Stars" where her bubbly personality and fabulous fashion shine.



Recently you also may have seen her as the new host of the GSN Game Show "1 VS 100" bringing a little Style to the Game Show Network.

Her newest project and role is as Executive Producer of a NEW pilot for ABC titled "Grace". "Grace" is a scripted one hour drama that centers around a family owned dance studio.

But she is not just a judge and show host. She is also an amazing dancer and choreographer and even has flexed her creative muscle as an actor. Her big show biz break came as a "Fly Girl" on the Fox show in Living Color along side JLO in the early 1990's. She followed that up with joining Madonnas "Girlie Show" world tour!


*Carrie Ann Bottom Right*

Some of the HOTTEST choreography I have ever seen ~ Her epic pole entrance at the beginning of the show was over the top. Did I mention the Girlie Show Tour was to promote Madonna's 5th album EROTICA?


She had a great run in the 1990's-Early 2000 in several movies in Dancing roles.
She even had a cameo in Austin Powers "Gold Member" as FOOK YU - HA HA!

Carrie Ann LEFT

Carrie Ann is a lot more than a gifted dancer, creative entity and amazing personality. She has a GIANT heart to match. She is a devout animal LOVER and a champion for animal rights. She has even partnered with PETA (along with her cat shadow) to raise awareness about the importance of Spay & Neutering your pets.



Carrie Ann is also a WARRIOR ~ Spending years battling the pain of Spinal stenosis and arthritis she never let it stop her. She underwent surgery in 2009 to help alleviate her pain and by all accounts it was a success. She appears busier and happier than ever!

Beside all her other creative ventures one of her greatest loves is FASHION. I had the honor of dressing Carrie Ann for the season finale of Dancing with the Stars last season in a Vintage Tadashi velvet gown.







Carrie Ann does have a stylist to bring her options for the show (KIT ROCKS and has a GREAT eye) but Carrie Ann chooses what she will be wearing on each episode. I was very happy when her love of statement accessories met my fabulous Elephant ring, worn on DWTS episode in Nov 2010



Her charismatic personality is directly projected through her fashion; it is fun, funky and fabulous. I had an opportunity to ask Carrie Ann my Style Maven Questions:

LISA: Can you describe your personal Style aesthetic AND attitude about fashion?


CA: In my personal life, I like to be comfortable yet fashionable. I love clothes that drape and convey as sense of movement. For appearances I like to kick things up a notch with a pieces that are simple yet elegant and then I will throw in some statement jewelry for that wow factor.

LISA: What are the key components / pieces in your closet?

CA: I love my leggings and wrap sweaters. Being a dancer, I am accustomed to being in clothing that is snug, yet allows movement which is where the leggings come in, but then I throw on a great cozy wrap sweater and I am good to go. James Perse and Splendid make the softest most comfortable leggings out there.

LISA: How do you feel about Vintage Clothing and Accessories?

CA: At first, I was afraid of vintage. I wore a vintage gown to the emmy's one year and a piece of the strap actually disintegrated. It was an awkward moment to say the least. However, over time, I have found that when you choose a vintage piece, you must feel a real connection to it. There is more of an emotional connection to the actual piece of clothing that has to be there for it to work. Vintage pieces have so much more personality and it takes time to find the right match.

LISA: What are your favorite Vintage pieces (Clothing and/or Accessories)? Do you only wear designer vintage?

CA: Vintage jewelry...bracelets and rings are my favorite. I am really drawn to the big, bold pieces that seem to tell a story. I don't really lean toward only designer vintage. I think if the piece has style and great craftsmanship, it doesn't matter who designed it.

LISA: What are you wearing this spring/Summer? Tell our readers the key elements for your S/S 2011 wardrobe.

CA: I love flowing dresses in jersey or silk. DVF makes some gorgeous dresses that are timeless yet edgy. They can be dressed up or down which is really important for me. Rachel Pally makes the most amazingly comfortable dresses to. I can't get enough of them! I also love All Saints. Their clothing is super edgy without being obvious. You always have to have a great shoe-you can never have enough shoes! I LOVE PLATFORMS!!! and I love those wedges!!! The higher the better!


LISA: If you had one piece of STYLE advice for women what would it be?

CA: Don't be afraid to experiment with style. When you find what works for you, get multiples of it in different colors. Invest in key pieces like a great jacket or bag or even a great piece of jewelry that you can wear with anything. You should feel good in what you are wearing no matter what it is so dress to impress...yourself!




(CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE)













Dancing with the Stars NEW season 12 Starts on ABC Monday March 21! and you can also catch Carrie Ann and the MOB on "1 VS 100" on the Game Show Network (Check your local listings).


Evolution Vintage's Picks for Carrie Ann:


White 1960's cocktail dress with fully beaded bodice


Vintage Aurora Borealis Crystal bracelet


Vintage 3 strand statement necklace with FAUXOPAL crown


SHOP: www.evolution-vintage.com

13 comments: