Sunday, September 11, 2011

Style Maven Series: Carol Alt


1979 was a fabulous year; It's the year I was born, US & China began diplomatic relations, Margaret Thatcher becomes the First Woman Prime Minister of Great Britain, Mother Theresa was Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
AND it was the year Carol Alt burst onto the modelling scene on the cover of Harpers Bazaar (Italia). She is a Multi faceted and talented Maven who has an amazing career as a model with over 700 magazine covers to her credit and countless editorials, ads and features.
This is one of the most iconic Sports Illustrated images I remember.

She is also an actress, and author 4 times over writing about her passions: Fashion and Raw Food.
She is an entrepreneur with a RAW & NATURAL line of skincare products called RAW ESSENTIALS.

She told me "We are the ONLY chemical free skin care line on the market. That’s good for healthy bodies because everything you put on your skin is absorbed into your body; which is why women are having problems with breast cancer tumours from paraffin, because paraffin’s mimics hormones. We are also results driven. We get unbelievable results. Our results are so fantastic that the photographers taking the before and after pictures said “these are the best before and afters we have ever seen!”
I asked Carol; If someone was going to try RAW ESSENTIALS what should they start with? Carol suggests "Start with a scrub, it is good to get rid of the old dead skin cells and bring up beautiful young skin. Then a moisturizer. We have a sensitive skin moisturizer and an anti-aging moisturizer. Your skin will never get oily because the oil in our product is “raw oil”. It is in a form that the body can understand and utilize immediately."

RAW ESSENTIALS WILL BE FEATURED IN GREATER DETAIL IN AN UPCOMING BLOG - PURCHASE IT HERE

Carol LOVES FASHION and since being in the business since 1979 she has acquired a collection of pieces, gained invaluable knowledge of design, textiles and the business of fashion and seen trends come and go (and perhaps come back again). I had the chance to chat with Carol via telephone recently and ask her my Style Maven questions.

LISA: Can you describe your personal Style aesthetic AND attitude about fashion?

CAROL: I’m a classic Sexy, I like tailored. I love the female form and I think it should be shown off. I like simple, sleek, chic, classic sexy things that show the form off. There is a problem with that because some people cross the line and it becomes trashy. There is a very fine line of just being a classic, simple, sleek, sexy dresser and I don’t over do it with accessories.

LISA: What are the key components / pieces in your closet?

CAROL: It depends what we are talking about. If it is dressing for an evening I like my simple black dress. I also have the simple black dress in lots of different colours. For day, I think anything paired with a nice pair of jeans is fine. I think dressing up jeans is great. I LOVE, LOVE White Shirts (fitted). I have different versions of the fitted white shirt. I think it's great for people who don’t have a lot of money to spend or don’t have the excess money to have a lot of different things. You can wear a pair of jeans and if you change your shoes and bag people think you are dressed completely different. Things that aren’t as expensive as say your blazer or your silk shirt.

LISA: How do you feel about Vintage Clothing and Accessories?

CAROL: LOVE IT!!! last night I wore a vintage piece to dinner.

LISA: What are your favorite Vintage pieces (Clothing and/or Accessories)? Do you only wear designer vintage?

CAROL: I like what suits my body, I don’t really care what is in fashion. I really like to wear things that look good on me. Ultimately if they look good on you people are going to ask you where you got it anyway. I have a girlfriend who is a Vintage shopper and she dresses me. Her name is Melanie and she picks all my pieces for me. In a sense I am somewhat spoiled because she knows me better than I do.
She is into designer pieces and likes picking designer pieces. For the AMFAR gala I wore a gold Gucci vintage gown that she had picked out for me.

She also has picked me up little Vintage sweater vests, not your typical vests but really unique styled sweater vests that you would wear open over a white shirt and jeans in a very soft brown knit. She also picked me up four Vintage shirts that are long, stretch jersey knit that I wear over stretch pants. I have no clue who they are, there were no labels in them at all. I really don’t care about labels, as long as it is a beautiful piece and looks good on me.


LISA: What are you wearing this Fall/Winter? Tell our readers the key elements for your F/W 2012 wardrobe?

CAROL: Unfortunately the platform is back so it makes all your other shoes look old if you don’t get a pair or two of platforms. It is unfortunate because I am 5’11”. I’m getting a couple of pair of platforms. I still like a sleek look and my skirts a little bit longer, it’s much more sexy and of course always a tailored jacket. I’ve gotten a couple of really short that I will wear over stretch pants but into boots. I am doing a real mix, I am finding at this age I don’t really care what people think. It allows me to experiment a little bit more because I don’t care.

LISA: If you could give women 1 piece of STYLE advice, what would it be?

CAROL: Simple. Just Simplicity.


CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE ~ Carol's Closet:














EVOLUTION VINTAGE Pick's for Carol:

VINTAGE FAUX FUR JACKET - SAKS FIFTH AVENUE 70's

VINTAGE CHRISTIAN DIOR CROP COAT 80's

VINTAGE RIDING JACKET - NAVY

VINTAGE Late 70's/early 80's EVENING GOWN - ROBERT DAVID MORTON for NEIMAN MARCUS

1990'S RICHARD TYLER SILK BLAZER

VINTAGE 80'S BACKLESS COCKTAIL DRESS


2 comments:

  1. Love it! Amazing piece on Carol!
    Brande

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I love the evening gown pick you have for her from Robert Morton, stunning.

    ReplyDelete