Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A World DS Celebration!

Today is World Down Syndrome Day ~ Cleverly selected on March 21 (3:21) as to represent the 3 copies of the 21st chromosome! 21 March 2012 marks the 7th anniversary of World Down Syndrome Day and for the first time TODAY will be officially observed by the United Nations.

The most important message of today is that people with Down Syndrome are more alike than they are different. They deserve the same respect, opportunities and celebration of their uniqueness in the same manner that each and every other unique human being does.

You can read our story HERE Posted on our friend Tori's blog EdiTORIAL from October's Down Syndrome Awareness Month!! Tori's Down with inclusion and acceptance! xo
I feel that the best we can do to promote acceptance and tolerance is to PRACTICE IT in our daily lives. My 4 year old watches and listens to EVERYTHING and takes her cues from what I model for her. She likes what I like or approve of and "dislikes" what I have an adverse reaction to (ex: Spiders). Educate yourself about the world around you. Not just people with DS but humanity in general. Different races and customs, religions, developmental disabilities, and MORE. We live in an amazingly diverse world that is ripe for discovery. I don't have the naive expectation that we will accept EVERYTHING that this diverse world has to offer but we can all RESPECT it and acknowledge each others differences as just that, Different .. not WRONG. I for one am happy when I am faced with something unique or set apart from what I call the "Herd Mentality".
Words cannot convey how my life has changed over the last 10 months. The evolution and growth has been astonishing to me and all thanks to a little boy with a little something extra! I know Blake will continue to be my greatest teacher and I look forward to all of life's adventures with him and our family.
How will you teach your children? your friends or family? about tolerance, acceptance and LOVE?

How will you CELEBRATE diversity today and all days?


Check out my fried Kelle's Blog & her NEW BOOK BLOOM!



No comments:

Post a Comment