Monday, April 9, 2012

Get Your Sparkle On: AB Jewelry


I LOVE costume jewelry.  Anyone who is a regular reader of this blog or who knows me knows how much I wear it, talk about it and BUY it! In my mind costume is the new fine

I have also been interested in the history and craftsmanship of Vintage jewelry. I think this is a great place to pass along some of the knowledge I have gained and recent facts I have found. 


First up, AB stones. AB is short for Aurora Borealis. A name taken from the Northern Lights.  AB rhinestones/crystals have a special iridescent finish that shines in a wide range of colors. Ever notice when you style AB stones with a certain color it picks them up?


The iridescent surface is a direct result of a very thin layer of metallic atoms that have been deposited on the lower surface of the stone. This process was invented and perfected by the Swarovski Company together with Christian Dior in 1955/56.  They dub it "The Aurora Borealis Effect".


I have seen this effect on both coloured stones and clear crystals of all shapes and sizes. It is produced in a vast array of jewelry over the decades. My FAV AB pieces are obviously Vintage but Swarovski still creates some amazing elements and embellishments for jewelry & accessories that are truly beautiful. I have even seen the effect on some sequins and fabrics.



Do you have any Aurora Borealis Pieces? Do you find them to be a versatile accessory, compatible with  a multitude of textures and colours?  You can get more bang for your bead with the AB stone or crystal. you can mix and match them with the rainbow of colours in your closet. They are not just reserved for "formal" events anymore either. Style them in a contemporary way; with jeans and a great blazer for a night out.



How do you get your sparkle on??


*Evolution Rewind Ring Collection Coming May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment