Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Joke's on you Wayne Brady

It is fabulous that we live in a free society where everyone has the right to their opinion's and feelings. I'm thrilled to have a medium to voice my utter disgust at a recent "joke" made by comedian Wayne Brady.


He was taking part in Comedy Central’s roast of Roseanne Barr this past Sunday. At one point in his routine he directed the following statement to Jeff Ross, another comedian taking part in the roast.
“Now the thing is Jeff, these are all jokes, and I really like you. I really, really like you. But a lot of people hate you, especially Sarah Palin because you remind her of what Trig is going to look like when he’s 40.” 
First let me say that I DO NOT agree with Sarah Palin's politics, religious beliefs or her conduct with respect to animals but I am disgusted as a mother that Mr. Brady felt the need to make a "joke" inferring that Trig (Sarah's son) would be ugly at 40 because he has Down Syndrome.


Seriously? He also did not take kindly to the Boo's that immediately rang out from the crowd.  The real JOKE is that if ANY comedian made fun of or derogatory remarks about the African American community you better believe that they would be forced to make a public apology.

That is exactly what Wayne should be giving the Down Syndrome community today. Starting with Trig Palin, an innocent boy in all of this who cannot read his hurtful words now but will one day be able to.

I know that I am personally excited to see what my beautiful boy Blake will look like when he is 40! I hope he will be a HAPPY man despite the clear prejudice, ignorance and lack of compassion this society still seems to have toward people with perceived differences. He will be a contributing member of society, the greatest teacher in my life and NOT reduced to the punchline of a game show hosts joke.

My Son Blake!

I wonder if Wayne would be laughing if someone made a joke about his daughter Maile? or about a group or community that Maile was connected too? As a parent it truly HURTS when someone has a laugh at your child's expense; directly or indirectly.

This is NOT a political issue it is a HUMAN one. My friend, father and Writer at Noah'sDad.com wrote an amazing open letter to Wayne Brady which I hope he takes time out of his busy deal making and joke writing schedule to read.

Let's make a deal Wayne. I will personally give you a round of applause if you take the opportunity to apologize for your disrespectful, unfunny comments .. oh, I mean "JOKE". If not the joke is on YOU. Your comments say much more about YOU and YOUR character (or the lack thereof) than it does about people with Down Syndrome. Keeping in mind of course that one day your daughter may read your comments and see your conduct. Will you joke or laugh at the expense of others and perpetuate judgement, bullying and hate? or choose to stand up and take accountability for your actions and words inspired by kindness, compassion, inclusion and love?

I can't wait to see.


2 comments:

  1. good posting about The Joke's on you Wayne Brady

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fucked up.
    Your kid is a stunner.

    Love

    KJo
    (PS who names their kid Trig???)

    ReplyDelete