Friday, June 13, 2014

The COMPLICE Story

Styled by LisaG
Get the look via Evolution Vintage
Model: Kat Cleave

I want to give you the COMPLICE story (pronounced com-plee-chay). This label is/was part of a large Italian fashion company once known as The Genny Group, now know as Genny Holdings SPA
Complice 1992 (designed by Dominco Dolce and Stefano Gabbana)

At the age of 25 Gianni Versace makes the move to Milan. He designs his first PRÊT-À-PORTER collections for Complice (1974), Genny and Callaghan.  The name of the line came according to a 1991 New York Magazine article because, "between Genny and the designer there is complicity"


 VOGUE PARIS 1977 COMPLICE
Commenting to Women's Wear Daily, Girombelli (Co-founder) said she aimed for a "succinct combination of straightforward American sportswear and Italian flair." for the Genny group and it's associated brands.
Harper's Bazaar - 1986

80's Complice Ad
Versace was succeeded by several other designers who went on to successfully design under their own names such as, Claude Montana and Dolce/Gabbana who made their debut for the label in Fall of 1990.

I reached out to the Genny Group and am still waiting for their reply as to when this label stopped production. Little information is available.

Do you have any COMPLICE in your closet?

2 comments:

  1. I have a COMPLICE original piece! It is a leather pencil skirt in perfect condition. Except, it has no zipper. I found it that way. SO What to do? Do I try to get it repaired, (which would have to be done BY Versace Co. by a designated tailor,) or try to just sell it to a collector? I've had it for years IDK Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a COMPLICE 80' original jacket I found in triftstore. It is in excellent condition! I can't find this jacket nor the original price on internet but it's crazy I found one! Fantastic

    ReplyDelete