Monday, December 29, 2014

Game of Thrones: A Family Affair

Every year I dream, organize and stage a family photo shoot for our Christmas Card. My visions are clear and the work begins with sourcing the perfect wardrobe, props as well as connecting with the perfect photographer which is an arduous task. I do all the styling, set up and art direction myself. My family is very cooperative and love to indulge me, often surprised with the result.

Last year we had an Alice in Wonderland Theme. All of the kids were amazing sports and we had a great photographer in Tamara Wickstrom who captured exactly what I had envisioned in an outdoor setting.

 This year I have chosen the Game of Thrones, the HBO Show based on the fantasy novel series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.
W went indoors and I turned to the talented Kevin Falerios of Kevin Falerios Epic Photography to assist me in making my dreams become a digital reality.

COSTUMES & CHARACTERS:
I collected and planned wardrobe for over 5 months. I wanted my family of characters to be inspired by the show's characters but not cos-play clones. I wanted to capture the spirit of their 'style' but in my own way.
My daughter as Arya Stark 
The Dress I re-styled and fitted from a medieval costume we had on hand from a previous Halloween. $0
Cape: On-line $11
Sword: Dollerama $1
Faux Fur Collar:  Ali-Express $13
House Stark Pendant: Ali-Express $2.75
Braid Hair Extensions: Beauty Supply: $6

Character Inspiration:

My Step-Son Dylan as King Joffrey Baratheon
Caped Sleeve Brocade Doublet Jacket was designed and created by: Gryphon's Wing Designs on ETSY ($600)
Pleather Leggings (Amazon): $17
Medieval Ring Belt (Amazon): $22
Boots: JustFab $39.99 (Borrowed)
Myself and my BFF supplied the cocktail rings

Character Inspiration

My Husband as Stannis Baratheon
I hand made the Stannis Breastplate using Cardboard, metallic paint, metal chain mail hoops, hot glue and nails. I opted out of using the flex all (as pictured) but it would have have the plate a smooth appearance. I enjoyed the cardboard texture. ($14 for materials + TIME)
A work in progress

Pleather Leggings (Amazon): $17
Military Style Jacket (My Own) - I.N.C. International Concepts ($80)
Over The Knee Boots - Freda Style - JustFab.com ($39.99)
Sword - From a previous Halloween Costume, Re-painted

Character Inspiration


My Step-Daughter as Daenerys Targaryen / Khalisi
Wig (ebay): $20
Bracelet (Amazon): $10

Character Inspiration:

Me having a Melesandre of Ashai Moment
Dress: Designed and created by: Gryphon's Wing Designs on ETSY ($600) (The exact gown will be available for sale soon OR you can have a custom creation made)
Choker: HBO Melisandre Choker - Spirit Halloween: $15
Wig (Ebay): $20

Character Inspiration:

My Son Blake as Tyrion Lannister (The Imp)
Custom Made Toddler Doublet by Mossy Rose CB on ETSY - $35
Long Sleeve Shirt/Pant/Boots (Blake's Own)
Hand of the king pin (pictured in the group photo) (Amazon)- $7

Character Inspiration



The final image was so epic we had it printed on a 2.5' x 6' banner! 

For the final card I did a word play on the major line/theme in the series thus far, "Winter is Coming" and swapped it for Christmas is Coming ...



Happy Holidays from my house to yours .... all quiet in the realm to enjoy a wonderful 2015! 



No comments:

Post a Comment